“When the rights of any one of us are denied, it’s everyone’s liberty
that is at stake.” — Attorney General Kamala Harris
The California Democratic Party recognizes the struggle of so many Californians to overcome racism and bias. We take pride in and celebrate our diversity and work to foster the common values and commitments that unite all people. We are protecting the right to vote against Republican attempts to limit voting rights.
- California Democrats passed the Homeowner’s Bill of Rights to stop unlawful foreclosures that have devastated African American and Latino homeownership, and Attorney General Kamala Harris helped negotiate a $26-billion, multi-state settlement with home lenders over the fallout from the financial crisis.
- California Democrats are working to ensure that our legal system works for all citizens and that police are fully accountable to the communities they serve and protect.
- The California Democratic Party supports and upholds the enforcement and funding of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the Help America Vote Act (HAVA), the Lanterman Act, and all federal and state disability and access laws and regulation
- We implemented online voter registration, making it easier for Californians to register to vote.
- Since 1992, our Promote and Protect the Vote Program has been protecting the rights of all voters and fighting back against Republican-led efforts to limit voting for people of color, seniors, people with disabilities and young people.
Dems Lead: Legendary Democratic Assembly Speaker Jeses M. Unruh introduced a law in 1959 to outlaw discrimination by businesses on the basis of race or disability -- years before the federal Civil Rights Act of 1965 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Today the Unruh Civil Rights Act covers discrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex and sexual orientation.