“The difference between Democrats and Republicans on
fighting inequality has never been more clear.”
— California Democratic Party Chair John L. Burton
California Democrats are dedicated to expand workers’ rights, promote minimum wage towards a prevailing wage, and expand affordable housing and equal pay for equal work. We strongly believe in the ability to organize for better working conditions.
- We gave more than 1 million working Californians a raise by raising the minimum wage, starting July 2014. California Democrats are leading the fight for a living wage in our cities and counties.
- We support creating and maintaining public and private sector jobs that permanently lift the working poor out of poverty and achieve self-sufficiency and a secure retirement.
- We defend employer-provided, defined benefit pensions as an essential part of retirement security.
- We are fighting for public assistance programs that allow individuals to support themselves and their families.
- We support the development of new affordable quality housing units for families and individuals with low incomes.
Dems Lead: California Governor Jerry Brown signed the Agricultural Labor Relations Act in 1975, the nation’s only law that protects farm workers’ right to unionize.